In 2009, Loudoun County led the Northern Virginia region in reported Lyme disease cases. According to the CDC, the United States has 38,000 new cases of Lyme each year. However, the disease is difficult to diagnose and the actual figure may be 10 times as great.
The Annual Loudoun Lyme 5K will drive awareness and raise money to help find a cure for Lyme disease - the number one tick-borne illness in the United States. The Loudoun Lyme 5K will also feature a 1M fun run, children’s activities as well as an information fair to educate the public about Lyme disease, its causes, symptoms and treatments.
When: Sunday, May 19, 2013
Where: Loudoun Valley High School
340 North Maple Ave.
Purcellville, VA 20132
8:00 AM start
- Kick-off ceremony to include local politicians
- Family-friendly and fun event
- Timed 5K and untimed 1M fun run
- Learn interesting facts about Lyme disease throughout the course
- Safe and organized course on paved road and trail; varied topography
- Children’s activities: games, cotton candy, snow cones
- DJ and music
- Information fair – health professionals and specialists, county officials, veterinarians, local vendors – open from 7:00 to 11:00 a.m.
13 years and older
$30 up until May 14th
$35 – day of event
Children 12 and younger
$15 – up until May 14th
$20 – day of event
- All paying participants receive a t-shirt; 12 & younger to include a goodie bag*
- Free admission to information fair to participants, families, and friends
On-line registration will close on Tuesday, May 14th.
Packet Pick-Up on Friday, May 17th, from 12:00 to 7:00 p.m. at:
DryHome Roofing & Siding
45921 Maries Road, Suite 100
Sterling, VA 20166
Event day registration and packet pick-up begins at 6:00 a.m.
*Cannot guarantee t-shirt size and/or goodie bag for event-day registrants.
The Beneficiary of the Event
The National Capital Lyme Disease Association is committed to helping patients diagnosed with tick-borne infections through education, support, and review of public policies concerning these diseases. NatCapLyme encourages individuals to advocate for themselves in their goal to regain their health. The organization offers regular patient support group meetings throughout Virginia, information, speakers, and news updates on legislative and scientific developments. NatCapLyme educates government policy makers and legislators on Lyme & tick-borne diseases and raises funds to support Lyme research.
NatCapLyme is designated as a 501(c) (3) organization by the Internal Revenue Service; your donation is tax deductible.
All net proceeds will go directly to NatCapLyme and will be used to educate the public and physicians about symptoms, diagnosis, treatments and methods of prevention.
The Sponsor of the Event
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc. of Sterling, Virginia is a 25-year old company owned by Steve Gotschi. Steve truly believes in giving back to the community and every year, DryHome donates a new roof to a needy individual or non-profit organization. Since 2007, Steve has watched his wife, Reagan, combat Lyme disease. He has become acutely aware of the symptoms and the effects this disease has had on his wife and his entire family. It is Steve’s hope that the Loudoun Lyme 5K/1M Event will help broaden awareness of the symptoms of Lyme, the treatment options available and recognition of the growing number of reported cases in Virginia each year.
BRING YOUR CHECKBOOKS!!!
Please be sure to join us on Sunday - there will be raffle, a silent auction and Lyme merchandise to purchase. The following is a list of only some of the items and services that have been graciously donated to help support Loudoun Lyme. Checks or cash only.
- Loudoun Hounds Basket
- Raspberry Falls Golf for 4
- Family Planning/Will
- Curry’s Auto Repair Basket
- Pev’s Paintball Basket for the Guys
- Pev’s Paintball Basket for the Office
- Pev’s Paintball Basket for a Birthday Party
- DC Brau Glasses and Beer
- 14k Gold Hoop Earrings – Made and Designed for our event by Aspen Jewelry
- Velux Flat Sun Tunnel
- Taste of Loudoun Gift Basket
- Sweet Frog Gift Bag
- Boy Avengers Basket
- Girls Hello Kitty Basket
- Mary Kay Basket
- Velocity 5 Gift Card
- Papa John’s Pizza’s
- Free Subs from Jersey Mike’s
- Let’s Dish Gift Card
- The Music Store in Reston – 4 Free Lessons
- Ned Divine’s Gift Card
- Magnolia’s – Lunch for 2